Wednesday, November 3, 2010

NaKniSweMo - Knit a Sweater in a Month!

Have you heard of NaNoWriMo [National Novel Writing Month] where you write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November? Well Ravelry is hosting a NaKniSweMo [Knit a Sweater in a Month] where you knit a 50,000 stitch sweater in the month of November.

Basketcase Jacket - Men in
Knits by Tara Jon Manning
Well I've signed on to particpate and I just started last night.  Only one day late, but hopefully that won't deter me from getting it done by the end of the month.  I've chosen a men's sweater Basketcase Jacket for my project from Men in Knits by Tara Jon Manning.  Here is a picture from the book and below is how far I've gotten. I'm using Lion Brand Wool Ease Chunky in Walnut and sizes 13 & 15-29" circular needles.

Of course the basketweave pattern has to be in a chart.  Charts and me just don't mix.  I'm still learning how to read charts, and even though this one is pretty simple, I've found that it's easy for me to make mistakes, which of course I've already done.  Hopefully it's not too noticeable.  I'm such a perfectionist though so I'm debating on whether I want to pull it apart to where I made the mistake and restart from there.

 
How far I've gotten last night (November 2, 2010)

I just picked up my yarn last night at JoAnn Fabric and Craft Store.  I love going to the craft/yarn stores.  I'm a tactile person so I like to feel the yarn before I buy and even though as a child I hated the feel of wool, now there are so many wool blends that takes the itchiness out of the traditional wool I remember as a child and I enjoy feeling the fibers and making my decision based on how it feels against my skin. Because let's face it, you can spend a lot of energy creating a really wonderful piece and find that the person you made it for doesn't like wearing it because they don't like the way it feels.  I know I'm always looking for comfort and why wear something that makes you feel uncomfortable? 

And on that note, to all the knitters out there participating in the NaKniSweMo good luck and happy knitting!


2 comments:

  1. I am so excited about your sweater, I think may I bookmark it for a future attempt. It looks gorgeous so far!

    http://www.stitchtacsew.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nikki...I hope you enjoy making it as much as I am. It's really quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete