Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Finished Vacation Projects

In a previous post I talked about what projects I was taking with me on my vacation. Well I decided to take two small, simple, easily portable projects with me and I'm really glad I did, they came in handy when we were stuck in the airport waiting for our delayed flight.

The project I chose was The Question Bag from the Burien Yarn Stash. A free pattern given out during the 2011 LYS Tour. It was a really simple design and an easy to follow pattern.  Once I got into the rhythm of the pattern I was able to leave the pattern sheet in my bag and work away at it while announcement after announcement was made on how long our flight was being delayed.

I picked two really great colors to make my bags:

Cascade Ultra Pima Cotton in turquoise and periwinkle
I finished one bag on the last full day of my vacation and I gave it to my son's sister who was celebrating her 17th birthday.  I wanted her to have something to remember us by when we are so far away.

I guess I also got a little too much into the rhythm of the pattern because the first bag came out a little long. As you will see from the picture below:



The pattern didn't indicate how long the bag should be so I just kept knitting thinking that I was supposed to use the whole skein.  Well when I noticed it was looking more like a wine bottle gift bag than an a drawstring purse, I stopped knitting and binded off.

Compared to the picture of the one below that is shown on the Burien Yarn Stash's site as an example of the bag, I think I did go a little too long.

Photo courtesy of the Burien Yarn Stash

But that's okay, because Aiden's sister loved it anyway and with the added length she can stuff more things in it.

The second bag I finished on my first day back from vacation:



And I stopped before it got too long this time and it came out looking more like the example.

4 comments:

  1. I like your bags. I don't think that first one is too long; it will just hold longer things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was checking up on the Lesser Know Skeins and read your story.
    We live just across the river from NYC and my daughter often tells me she wishes we could all mice to Washington state.
    I love the way you came to knitting through a group.
    The bags are beautiful and as soon as I finish all the baby things I will put one on the needles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lupie...we were in Newark NJ for a few hours waiting for our delayed flight and I was able to work on the periwinkle bag while I was waiting. I finished it the day after I got home...as you must have deduced we were waiting for quite some time in the Newark airport!

    Thank you again for your comment and I hope you keep coming back to visit and comment on my blog..I love hearing from other knitters, we are such a diverse group of people!

    Happy Knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Pam, you're right it was just meant to hold more stuff!

    I'm hoping my son's sister is making good use of it!

    ReplyDelete