Tuesday, May 9, 2017

I'm going to be a grandma!

I am 46 years old and my 21 year old son broke the news to me a few months ago that his girlfriend is pregnant. I was a little apprehensive at first, because I felt that they were both too young, but it wasn't my decision and they have to live with whatever decision they make. I can only support them as much as I can and be there when they need me.

I have to admit the idea of being a grandma has grown on me quite a bit. It's actually pretty exciting. I can't wait for my little grand baby to get here. They found out last month that it's a boy and he is due to arrive in August!

I've told the kids that I don't want to be called Grandma, that I'd prefer be called Mimi (it's what my son called me when he was little). I'm looking forward to being a Mimi, When I think about it I get this happy feeling bubbling up inside me and I smile that secret smile of all grandmothers!

The best part of being a grandma is all the knitted or crochet items I can make for my grandson that I didn't get to make for my son (because I didn't know how to knit back then and my crochet skills were no where near what they are today). He will have so many cute items from his Knitter Mama Mimi that his parents will get sick of them!!!!

I already have a teddy bear that I made a few years ago (I told myself I was saving this for my grand baby when I made it - who knew I would be giving it so soon.):


And he will of course have hats and booties. I just discovered how to make crochet rattles. I have a kit that I can make my own teething rings and pacifier clips. He will also of course get a baby blanket from his Mi Mi - it's my specialty, like the one I made for a friend who had her baby in February:

Monogrammed Baby Blanket
My son already put in a request for a baby blanket with the baby's first initial (J for Jermaine). Of course I am happy to make this - he is my grandson after all and he deserves it.

I read an article on the "Do's and Don'ts for First Time Grandmas", I want to make sure that I don't overstep my bounds with my son and his girlfriend. I don't want to be alienated from them and not get to spend time with my new grand baby. I already feel like I should tell them everything I learned along the way - what I did right and even what I did wrong. I didn't have my mom there to help me when my son was born so it was hard being a single parent with only a small support group (my Dad, my brother, and his paternal grandmother). But I made it and my son is no worse for wear!

I'd love to hear from some grandma's out there and how they love being a grandma and for this first time grandma I could really use some tips to help me along the way!

Happy Knitting!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment