It's also the time of year when I like to get started on my holiday knitting. Earlier this year I had hit a knitting slump that lasted until about early August. I'm now actually looking forward to knitting this holiday season. Taking that break was what I needed and it has now motivated me to make some gifts for family and friends and not struggle to complete product knitting that I have to have ready for a show. I can finally get to some of my long awaited projects that have been sitting on needles begging to be finished and some new ones I've discovered that I'm itching to try.
I wasn't totally without knitting these last few months. I took a break and didn't participate in any spring shows, or Farmer's Markets over the summer, therefore, I wasn't knitting to meet some deadline or to keep up with product. I just knitted for the pure enjoyment of knitting and I really did start to enjoy it again.
I wanted to make something that was fun and frivolous, so I searched and searched until I came across a pattern by Kimberly Kwon who has so many fun designs to choose from, but I settled on the Stash Busting Monster, because it didn't call for a lot of yarn and I had some yarn I wanted to use that I purchased at a summer garage sale. It was really nice quality yarn (Zitron Noblesse) that only cost $1.50 a skein, but there was only two skeins of it. Not letting that deter me from my goal I headed to my LYS to find two more colors of this same yarn, unfortunately, they only had one color, so I picked that up and substituted another brand (Austermann Alpaca Silk) in red for the face, hands, and feet. I also came across some unique buttons to sew to the front of my monster. In no time at all I had my little monster done, so meet Buttons, he's a little smaller than the pattern suggested due to the yarn weight I used, but I still think he's really cute.
One of my favorite patterns that I tried was the Caribou Bear from the Caribou Critters pattern, by CiD Hanscom. The pattern called for Caribou yarn which was very soft and fluffy and you stranded it together with a DK weight yarn called Simplicity, both by Hikoo by Skacel. I hit a few rough spots along the way due to the long eyelash strands of the Caribou wrapping around my needles as I was knitting, but the end result was well worth it, which is Harry who is sporting his very own WSU colored scarf (he's a big Cougars fan!)
I also had some fun making the Pint Sized Pines by Julie Tarsha, which uses wine bottle corks as the base of the tree. I had intended to make these last year to give as gifts, but I hadn't collected enough wine bottle corks, so with help from friends who were happy to save their corks for me over the holidays last year, I have a nice colledtion of corks to make these to give as gifts.
My first attempt came out really well, but looked kind of plain because I used a solid colored yarn, so my next attempt I added beads along the way and I got a totally different look.
|Solid green that I used kind of made the tree|
Adding some beads gave it a more
finished look - like a decorated
I designed my own adult headbands after seeing a really awesome one worn by one of my knit buddies at knit night. She told me she used a bookmark pattern and added i-cord ties to the ends! That was such a clever idea so I decided to give it a try, but instead of using a bookmark pattern I searched through my pattern books and found two designs in The Knitter's Bible that I liked and gave it a shot.
|This one is called the Vine Pattern|
|This one is called the Dainty Chevron Pattern|
I also finally finished the gingham dress that I started last year to go with the knitted doll I completed last November to give to my grandniece for Christmas. But I didn't have any clothes made for the little doll, so I held off on sending her to my grandniece Tatiana. But her dress is done and I will be adding some shoes and maybe another skirt and sweater, so that Tatiana can have fun dressing and undressing her.
Designed by Arne and Carlos